Friday, September 23, 2011

Back to Dublin...

I got back to Dublin around 8pm- just enough time to get back to the hostel, do some laundry, and be in bed by 11 for my early flight to Prague to meet up with a very dear friend of mine from high school and his friends. Yeah, because planning stuff like that always works out. Spoiler: it didn't.
So, I got down to the laundry room and did the washer stuff with no problem. I had some decent Internet in the laundry room, so, I grabbed some food, called Mommabear, and caught up on some reading. After my wash, there were only two dryers and they weren't available. So, I waited for one dryer person to come check on their stuff, only to find out that the dryers are horrible and take a few loads to finish. Grr. Luckily, my hostel has a pretty sweet bar in the lobby, so, I let my wash sit until the other dryer was done, found one of my hostel roommates, and started chatting.
-Quick note: in our room was an Anna, an Ana and an Ann. Made it really easy for everyone who was meeting us.-
So, a quick chat turned into, "Sure, I'll have a pint quickly.", *dryer finally available and have 45 more minutes to spare*, "oh, another pint? I couldn't. Well, ok."... Etc. Soon enough, Ana from Portugal and I were talking to a group of Irish guys, German guys and Italian guys. (Bless you, Blarney stone.)
Anyway, we chatted and had some pints and it was great. Once my laundry ended. I told Ana I had to go to bed and be up by 7am to get to the airport for Prague. So, I say goodnight, go back up to the room, change and settle into bed. I swear to goodness, Ana needs to work for the US government. She stormed into the room and gave me every convincing reason in the world to go out with them. "You only get this opportunity once. You can sleep on the plane." She recruited Ann quickly and as much as I politely wouldn't budge, she held strong. So, it's about 11:30. I'm tired and I have to be up in about 8 hrs for a flight. After Ana was done pleading her case, I can't really say that I thought twice about staying at home.
It was great. We went with one of the local Irish guys (our bartender) to his flat around the corner above the Jameson Distillery where we listened to Irish songs, had some beers and laughed a ton.
One of the Irish guys was about 7 ft. tall, so, Ana (small Portuguese girl) kept referring to him as, Giant. "Giant, why are you so tall? Giant, why are you drinking that beer? Giant, how long did it take you to make the Causeway?" I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. He was such a great sport for it all and totally played into it.
Anyway, around 2:30, I was finally done and wanted to leave. So, I looked over at Ana, whose head was suddenly drooping down and I realized she she was Titanicing (going down, about to wreck). As if in slow motion, I say Ana, 'we have to go' and she responds, "buuuttttt I'mmmm noooot drrrrrunk." After watching her drink about 4 beers and a couple shots, I knew this only translated to: I'mmmmm waaaasted.
Oh, no.
So, we packed up and I had to do my best to convince her she was alright and we just had to go to bed. It took about 10 minutes to convince her that we had to leave while she was blaming the bartender, kind of jokingly, for 'doing this to her.' So, we get her down the stairs and start getting her out the door. As she stumbles out, the bartender guy, Robert, who was sooo nice for entertaining us, giving us his beer, and helping with getting drunk Ana out the door, screams! "No! Don't let the door shut!"
Slam. That door was locked good and we were definitely on the wrong side of it.
3am on a Tuesday night when his roommate is out of town and he doesn't have his phone to call neighbors. So, he says it's fine and encourages us to get Ana home safely.
We walk her back, I get her in the door of the hostel safely while a guy and the other Ann get her into the elevator and I have the best spontaneous decision I've had in a long time...
"um, hey, you guys can get her into the elevator, right? I forgot my scarf." Before they could say, "but you didn't have a scarf", I was on my way back out the door to Robert's to keep him company as he sat in his lobby alone waiting for someone to let him in. I mean, come on. He had no phone, was locked out and all he had was a lobby. We sat up chatting til 5 when someone was finally leaving his building for work and I got to sit there listening to Irish guy talk for a couple of hours. *swoon* It was really a win-win. Because hey, you only get this opportunity once, right? I slept a LOT on that plane.
Made it to Prague by 3pm Wednesday afternoon. To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment