Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Packing. Kind of. (Not really.)

So, I wanted to start off my blog with a few thoughts. Tonight is the night before I take off and I have a lot to get ready and go through to make sure that I'm good to go. But let's be real- I've so far watched How I Met Your Mother re-runs and started a blog. Go figure.
There are a lot of things to lay out there before I leave.
  1. I rarely like blogging. It takes a certain person of a certain caliber to do it right. Most of the time, it's usually some overly-pretentious, arrogant, 'everyone needs to hear what I have to say but I can't say it to their face' type of person writing about stuff they could never get published in normal circumstances because they either:
    • Aren't any good at writing
    • Have no purpose
    • Are all 'Ron Burgundy' about it ("Hey everyone! Come see how good I look!")
    • Are not credible sources of their subject matter
    • They're too soapbox-y

    I'm not here for any of that and if you feel like I am, feel free to tell me.

  2. I'm going to be real in this effort. If you don't want to see me on a personal level, then you'd probably want to navigate yourself to not-this-page. I called this blog, "Anna's Wandering Again," because, well, that's what I do. Some of my best ideas have come from tangents and not limiting myself to what others are thinking. Some of my worst ideas have come from tangents and not limiting myself to what others are thinking. And I'm ok with that as long as I am never stagnant and always contributing/producing/helping/growing. I can only hope that you be ok with that, too.

  3. Deepest secret revealed #1: Most of you know, I'm a huge writer. I love it and it's my deepest passion. And, to be real, I haven't been doing a whole lot of it lately. Writing is a mental battle with yourself. There's a whole lot of blame I could put here or there for why I haven't but that just full-circles back to me. Writing is who I am and if it all needs to restart with a blog, so be it.

  4. I didn't write on my last big trip to Trinidad and Tobago and I regret it so much. The fact that I can't look back and read through the 2 hour long motorcycle ride where we almost died three times and might have taken out a school girl or two, or staying with Rastafarians, or surfing, or the beaches, or accepting cockroaches on a social level, or the stray dogs and their fleas that I fell in love with, or one of my best friends and her boyfriend having some of the most incredible adventures with me- at the most basic level - sucks. I had an unforgettable time and all I have are pictures and the stories in my head. Someday, I'll write all of that out but I should have done it at the beginning.

  5. So, on that personal note I was talking about (while sparing a lot of details), the past couple of years have been kind of a tornado with me standing in the eye watching it happen. As soon as I graduated in December, 2008, I went through a cluster of life events that, in summary, I wouldn't wish on anyone. Take my word for it as I refer to this point in life as 'the Dark Ages'. Emotionally and mentally flabbergasted, by the middle of 2010, I felt like I was getting my bearings again. Preparing for even more change, now that we're in 2011, I am currently in the middle of buying/furnishing a townhouse, selling my family home, getting my mom into a facility to take care of her (she has MS), getting her/my finances in order, having a garage sale, exploring grad school options, keeping everyone calm, carrying on, etc. etc. etc. I have learned so much about who to appreciate, who to love, who to cut out of my life now, who I should have cut out a long time ago, and, in an effort to be entirely inner-Bridget-Jones-esque, I think I'm finally getting it right. Believe me when I say that all of this is for good and me and the people I love are in a good place. Juggling all of that with my career, my dog, my 20-something-year-old-so-called-life, being 'fine' all the time, and aspirations to travel/write/take over the world, I'm taking this opportunity, grabbing it by the mane, and taking off. So many people have said, "You're really doing this?" - "You're going alone?" - "Are you *&%#$ crazy?" --- Yes. Resounding Yes. Expletive Yes.
    I feel like I've been scraping by lately with so much happening. To fix this, I require whiskey/drunken singing in Ireland, much-anticipated Mexican boatrides with great old friends in Prague, Czech Republic, and Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany. I really can't find any other way.

  6. I have to thank a ridiculous amount of people in my life for being so ungodly supportive and helping me to become the person I am and for leading me to this trip. I also need to thank a few not-so-great people also for helping me to figure out what type of person I'm not. This leads me to a tangent on people. I fully subscribe to the idea that the world isn't necessarily split into good and bad, but more into creators and destroyers. I also fully subscribe to the idea that the split I just identified (via Kurt Vonnegut) has nothing to do with skin color, worshipped God, gender loved, clothes worn, hair shade, etc. This is why I love traveling. It allows you to get out of your bubble, see more details, meet others without your usual guards up. It also allows you to see how basically dumb other people are for having any sort of prejudice or hate against people they've never really met but 'heard about'. I hope this inspires other people to travel, too.

  7. Which leads me to how I'm feeling right now- summarized in one word. scaredhappysappyexcitednervousgiddystupidsmartreadyunpreparedpumpedexpialidocious.
    hum diddle diddle diddle hum diddle eye

  8. Please don't take offense to anything I write. If you question something I say, I assure you that you can confidently not take me seriously. And I love talking so feel free to ask me anything.
This trip is going to be bananas. One more day of work! Ready, go.

No comments:

Post a Comment